[OPE-L:4157] (Fwd) Re: Who agrees with Popper? [re OPE-L:4154]

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 06:40:12 EDT

Steve,

I ask again, a point of agreement amongst whom? I flatly disagree
with you if you say it is agreed by either economic methodologists
or by philosophers of science. See for example the well known
collection on economic methodology edited by Roger Backhouse,
'New directions in economic methodology' (Routledge 1994).  But
more than that consider the entire development of economic
methodology since Blaug's seminal text on the topic. Blaug
asserts not just Popper-Lakatos's general view but also the specific
one regarding the litmus test. And it is this litmus test, more than
anything else, that *has* been rejected by most people in the field.
What on earth is the current 'return to practice' if it isn't a rejection
of the litmus test? How then can you assert that it (the litmus test)
remains a point of agreement?

At the very least you must argue for this contentious assertion (one
that is incorrect on my view!)

Andy

PS I have been unable to solve the problem of the 'send reply to'
field. Any help on this would be appreciated.