[OPE-L:4180] Re: Who agrees with Popper?

From: glevy@pratt.edu
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 11:27:04 EDT

A short reply to Julian's question in [OPE-L:4167]:

> In his #4166 Jerry questions the usefulness of what he describes
> as "the empiricist method" in comprehending capitalism: to try and > nip in the bud any discussion at cross-purposes, could Jerry
> clarify whether he means "empiricist" or "empirical"?

I meant what I wrote -- empiricist.

Empirical research, it seems to me, has to be an integral component of any (so-called) "non-degenerate"  research programme that attempts to understand capitalist reality. However, empirical research can not *substitute* for theoretical research. Nor can empirical research easily falsify theoretical propositions in political economy. Thus, we cannot verify or falsify propositions related to capitalism with a "litmus test", as we might do to settle a question in chemistry, or by creating a vacuum in which causality can be tested, as can be done in some cases in the field of physics.

If we are to engage reality, empirical research is thus required. Otherwize, we can develop an infinite number of possible theories *which are internally -- logically -- consistent* but which are not capable of comprehending the subject matter in question. If we seek to do something more meaningful for comprehending capitalism than writing science fiction fantasy scenarios about possible modes of production which are possible on some other planet in some other period of time, then we must develop our theories with reference to the available data and history.

Perhaps we could have a discussion about the shortcomings of empiricism ("vulgar" or otherwize) and contrast that philosophy to
Marx's.

In solidarity, Jerry