[OPE-L:4232] Re: Logic and illogic in defending Marx

From: Andrew_Kliman (Andrew_Kliman@email.msn.com)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 23:21:10 EDT

Rakesh (OPE-L:4227), what do you mean by "the labor theory of value"?

The main logical problem with your response is that you beg the question.
You *assume* that Marx advocated (your version of) "the labor theory of
value."  You then reject an interpretation of the textual evidence, not
because it is inconsistent with the textual evidence, but because it is
inconsistent with your presupposition.  I think you need to abandon your
presupposition.

: Otherwise, why wouldn't anything with a P--say purchase of a
: waterfall as energy source--transfer value in accordance with the
: value of the money need to procure it?

Leaving aside the issue of rent and the reference to the value of money,
which I think is misplaced, I think the sum of value that needs to be
invested for an input *is* transferred by virtue of the input's
productive consumption, whether or not the input itself has any value.

I wrote:
: >I also think that, in Marx's theory, the amount of value that is
: >transferred to the product is the used-up constant capital value.
See,
: >e.g., Vol. I, Ch. 8.

Rakesh responds:
: But as Paul Z and I both pointed out, p-v divergence is not allowed
: there. So the question we are debating could not then arise.

I disagree.  Marx gives a general definition of constant capital in Ch.
8.  He calls it a definition.  The definition applies whether or not
prices equal values because he nowhere restricts the definition to the
case in which prices equal values.  Moreover, when he does finally focus
on price-value deviations, he confirms that the amount of value that is
transferred to the product is the used-up constant capital value, not the
value of the means of production, and he cautions us not to "go wrong" by
equating the two (Ch. 9, Vol. III).  How much more explicit could the man
be?

Rakesh:  "Don't get the hence."

The condensed version of what I wrote is "the used-up constant capital
value diverges from the value
of its (material) elements. ... the amount of value that is transferred
to the product is the used-up constant capital value. ... Hence, the
amount of value that is transferred to the product diverges
from the value of the (material) elements of the constant capital."  The
conclusion follows necessarily from the two premises, no?

Rakesh:  "We obviously have to map out the different ways in which the
term constant capital is being used."

I think this would be very helpful.  I suspect that in works finalized
for publication, and most of the rest of the time as well, Marx does not
refer to the means of production as constant capital.  He will call them
the elements of constant capital, but not, to my recollection, constant
capital.   But the most important thing is to study carefully the
*definitions* of things like constant capital and cost-price.

I wrote:  "The value of the used-up means of production is NOT what is
transferred."

Rakesh replied:  "Of course I think it IS what is transferred. What are
we to do?"

I think you need to explain how the "always possible to go wrong"
statement could be compatible with your interpretation.  Far more
importantly, you need to check to see whether your interpretation can
replicate Marx's theoretical conclusions.

Also, since you agree that the value of a commodity is k + s, and that k
doesn't equal the value of the means of production and subsistence, you
*must* agree that the sum of value transferred diverges from the value of
the means of production.  Well, not "must," but it's illogical if you
don't.

Andrew Kliman