[OPE-L:4240] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Part Two of Volume III of Capital

From: TonyTinker (TonyTinker@email.msn.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 15:02:42 EDT

Steve, Rakesh, and Paul Z:

I hesitate to offer yet another endorsement of Steve Keen's arguments, but
feel obliged to chime-in after reading Paul Zarembka's demarcation rule
(suggesting that Steve should take his ball and play elsewhere).  Giving
centrality to the capitalist mode of production (and therefore its
exploitative class relations) does not lead, inexorably, to attributing
surplus value production exclusively to wage labor (or make solving the
transformation problem of overriding importance for Marxists).

First, the wage relation is itself reproduced by non-wage work and other
antecendent conditions (e.g., those set and held in place by the family, by
education,  politics, spiritual, cultural, and other non-market,
institutions, etc.).  Exploitation (of surplus value) can be just as
effectively resisted on these (non-wage) territories as on the factory
floor.  Denying the importance of these non-wage relations (to surplus value
production) deprives us of access to vital sites of political struggle --
for the kind of narrow, doctrinal, economically-reductionist reasons that
(rightly) has resulted in a marginalization of some brands of Marxism in
recent years.

Second, Marx himself never actually refers to his "labor theory of value"
(surely this should be a caution to those who make it central to their
notion of Marxism?)  We live in social formations -- not pure capitalism --
a conjunction of foetal and vestigal modes of production.  In some nation
states, the capitalism mode of production may be on the acendency (China) or
even dominant (maybe the U.S).  Whatever the circumstance, EVEN if we
confine ourselves to addressing capitalist exploitative relations, we must
also face it's allies (e.g., patriarchy, race).

Third, it follows from the above that the wage-profit relation is but one
manifestation of exploitation, and that the terrain of (Marxist) struggle
must be viewed more broadly to encompass the full panapoly of alienated
experience under capitalism (E.G., as consumers, students, subjects of race,
gender, political, and environmental alienation).  For some Marxists, this
has led to a (re) formulation of the labor theory of value (sic.), to a
'value theory of labor'.  The latter gives emphasis to all areas of life
under capitalism that are affected, and effect, capitalist relations of
exploitation -- not just the wage bargain..

[Steve: please send me a copy of the attachment as well].

  Fraternally,