[OPE-L:4269] Re: Logic and illogic in defending Marx

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 21:31:46 EDT

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Alejandro Ramos wrote:

> >Besides (though you are
> >more familiar than I with the early literature on Marx) I didn't
> >think Bortkiewicz was motivated by ideological opposition to
> >Marxism
>
> I'd advance at least some doubts about this. In any case,
> it's interesting to note how little we actually know about
> him.

I tried a web search (substitute for real research!) and came up
with a few little snippets.  Bortkiewicz was apparently a more
than competent statistician: his name appears in numerous
statistical bibliographies, and he is credited with the first
use of the word "stochastic" in its modern sense (in his Die
Iterationem, 1917).  He's also known as a critic of
Bohm-Bawerk's theory of interest, and as an analyst of the
Weimar hyperinflation.  I haven't found any account of his
politics.

Allin Cottrell.