[OPE-L:4302] Re: Re: machines and quantity

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 03:31:08 EDT

Hi Andy,

I'm quite willing to accept that the adjective "pure" is too extreme. Marx
of course allowed that the use-value of workers had a qualitative
aspect--that it was work of a particular type, whether weaving,
ironworking, etc.--as well as having a quantitative use-value to its
capitalist purchaser. Of course the same subtlety applies to machines,
which have a qualitative aspect as well--that a machine used to produce
steel cannot be used to shear sheep, for instance--as well as having a
quantitative use-value to its capitalist purchaser.

My proposition is that the latter, quantitative use-value, is the reason
why capitalists both hire labour and purchase machinery, and that on this
logic, both are sources of surplus value.

Cheers,
Steve