[OPE-L:4331] Re: SV, labour and machines

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 13:40:27 EDT

Thanks Rakesh,

The nice thing about my argument (until it is demolished) is that it
doesn't require prices to equal values! It accords beautifully with
Marx's statements to the effect that if we can't explain SV with p=v
then we can't explain it at all (ie it doesn't matter whether p=v or
not for the argument to go through). All that is required is society
wide exchange of commodities such that prices are GIVEN to
individuals, and *proximately* 'explained' by supply and demand
[btw, there's no doubting that, in Cap1, Marx seemed to envisage
prices of production as long run centres of gravity rather like Smith
and Ricardo's 'natural prices' - check out the footnote that occurs
just before chapter 6...but this is all at a more concrete level than
the SV argument].

Then the key is the price of a machine = the (present *exchange*)
value of the contributions of the machine. There is nothing here
about price = value (where value is snlt). You can read the whole of
the argument in my previous post in just this way.

On your point abour 'discounting': the worker doesn't sell his labour
at all (at a discount or whatever). The worker has not agreed to do
any *specific* labour at all. If the capitalist doesn't put the worker to
work, then no work will be done. The worker sells his *labour
power*, that's all. The key is that this labour power is sold at a
GIVEN price. It is given (proximately) by the market [and
'ultimately' by the value (as in snlt, with historical, moral element)
of labour power, but this is presented at a more concrete level, and
isn't necessary here] . As long this price, along with others, is
given through 'free exchange' then that's all that is required to the
argument.

Best wishes,

Andy