[OPE-L:4360] Re: Spheres and industries

From: Patrick L. Mason (pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 19:36:51 EST

Julian:

This is an empirical issue for which there is no easy answer. Whether or
not items belong to the same sphere/industry depends on whether the
commodities are substitutes for each other and on the strength of the
substitution.  Or, one might want to define spheres in terms of the ability
to produce different items using the same plant and equipment. So, in turns
of substituability in use automobiles and army tanks are not in the same
industry. However, the same plant and equipment and labor force can be used
to produce both items, so from the standpoint of the latter definition they
are in the same industry. Of course, both of these definitions are
consistent with a broad industry definition, for example, vehicular
production.

The empirical difficulties of precisely measuring an industry does not rule
out the notion of an industry as a valid theoretical concept. Few
theoretical concepts are ever precisely captured by empirical measurement.

peace, patrick l mason