[OPE-L:4371] Re: Re: Re: Re: Technical change and general truths

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 06:37:26 EST

Sorry Rakesh,

But I regard this particular argument of Marx's:

"As Fred says, the macro magnitudes are determined  prior to, and are
determinative of, the micro magnitudes of the rate of profit and the
prices of production (see also Blake, 1939; Mattick, 1983)."

(for once I can't quickly locate the original by Marx, but I do know it)

as one of the greatest kludges he ever attempted to pull. That capitalism,
which is inherently a competitive class system, should somehow operate as a
true collective of capitalists as to the division of surplus-value, I
regard as pure nonsense.

I'll leave it to Allin or Paul (if any of them have the energy) to delve
into your arithmetic below.

Steve
At 11:56 PM 10/29/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>>On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Andrew_Kliman wrote:
>>
>>>  The following, which Steve Keen wrote in OPE-L 4349, is false:
>>>
>>>  "The TSS approach to this is to dismiss consideration of a state in which
>>>  rates of [technical] change equal zero, and provide numerical examples
>>>  where the twin propositions above cannot be contradicted.
>>
>>I think you have to cut Steve a little slack here, given that he
>>was engaging with Rakesh, whose special version of TSS (if it is
>>a version of TSS; maybe it isn't) does insist upon technical
>>change as a condition of maintaining Marx's two equalities...
>>except that it turns out that technical change is not in fact
>>sufficient to do the trick... (I feel saner since I withdrew
>>from that debate.)
>>
>>Allin.
>
>I am not sure why you don't think it did the trick.
>
>But let's play the game of simple reproduction. Let me ask that you
>or Steve consider this one last reply before finally withdrawing; of
>course if your sanity is at stake, please ignore this.  Of course I
>have already suggested this repsonse to you in private
>correspondence, so you can voice the same objection which you have
>already expressed.
>
>take the traditional approach to the problem. No technical change at all!
>
>  The only difference is that I am keeping one invariance condition:
>the total value/price remains the same in the unmodified and modified
>scheme.
>
>  The changing of the price of the inputs should  have no effect on
>the *value of the means of production consumed* in the ouput or the
>new value added by labor since we are maintaining the same number of
>workers (the quantity of wage goods used as inputs to hire workers is
>not changed by the transformation of the price of the input wage
>goods).
>
>So total value/price remains 875 after the transforming of the inputs.
>
>The initial value table for Bortkiewicz-Sweezy-Cottrell:
>
>	  c	  v	  s     value
>    I  225.00   90.00   60.00   375.00
>   II  100.00  120.00   80.00   300.00
>  III   50.00   90.00   60.00   200.00
>Tot.  375.00  300.00  200.00   875.00
>
>A transformed scheme with a uniform profit rate in simple reproduction
will be

>(1) 225x+90y+r(225x+90y)=225x+100x+50x
>(2) 100x+120y+r(100x+120y)=90y+120y+90y
>(3) 50x+90y+r(50x+90y)=r(225x+90y)+r(100x+120y)+r(50x+90y)
>(4) 875- (225x+100x+50x+90y+120y+90y)=r(225x+90y)+r(100x+90y)+r(50x+90y)
>
>That is, the first three equations set the system in simple reproduction.
>
>but here's my innovation:
>
>The fourth equation says that the mass of surplus value [total
value-(modified)
>  total cost price] does not equal but DETERMINES WHAT THE BRANCH PROFITS
ADD UP
> [...]
>the so called equality I have decided to break. Unlike them, I am
>keeping the total value/price sum the same in the unmodified and
>modified schemes (875).
>
>*I do not understand the second equality to be an invariance
>condition, so I am not breaking it.*
>

>So even if we transform the inputs into the same prices of production
>as the outputs (if this is the kind of thing one has to do to solve
>the transformation problem), one can still get a modified scheme in
>simple reproduction (if this is what has to be demonstrated to
>silence the critics).
>
>Total value remains the same (875), and the sum of surplus value
>(total value- total cost price) DETERMINES the sum of the branch
>profits.
>
>In the iteration, this is simply done by modifying the inputs on the
>basis of the PV output ratios and then subtracting the sum of these
>new modified inputs from total value/price of 875. This gives the
>bottom of the total profit column, which is then divided by the
>modified cost prices to yield r (average rate of profit) which is
>then applied to the modified cost prices in each branch to generate
>new branch prices of production and PV ratios which are again applied
>to the inputs. This is continued until the system settles into simple
>reproduction.
>

>If we hadn't modified the inputs, we would have gone wrong in the
>determination of the rate of profit and the prices of production.
>Marx was right about this.
>
>My simple solution can only be had if we maintain the second equality
>as I define it. So not only have I maintained both equalities. I have
>shown why they must be maintained in order to carry out the
>transformation in an iterative manner.
>
>I know that I have defined the second equality in a radically
>different manner than all commentators on the transformation problem.
>But this seems to me exactly what Marx meant by the sum of the branch
>profits being determined by the mass of surplus value.
>
>If we want to stick to simple reproduction/equilibrium prices, then
>the entire transformation debate has been conducted on a
>misunderstanding of the meaning of second equality, which is
>correctly expressed in equation (4)
>
>The only way to defeat my argument is to show that I have
>misinterpreted what Marx meant by the sum of surplus value equaling
>the sum of the profits in the different branches. Was it meant as
>invariance condition between the unmodified and modified scheme  or
>is the mass of surplus value determined after the modified cost
>prices have been subtracted from total value?
>
>If it's the former, the transformation problem remains; if it's the
>latter, then I have presented a reasonable solution of the
>transformation problem under the static conditions which resemble
>general equilibrium theory. Of course I think such a solution is of
>absolutely no real interest in the understanding of capital anyway.

Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer
Economics & Finance
University of Western Sydney Macarthur