[OPE-L:4400] Re: Re: Technical change and general truths

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 12:45:05 EST

re 4399
>In [OPE-L:4394], Rakesh wrote:
>
>>  I call the above response to the transformation problem on the
>>  assumptions of equilibrium thinking the
>>  Shaikh-Gouverneur-Moseley-Bhandari solution.
>>  It is of course possible that the first three would disavow the
>>  affiliation.
>
>Have I missed something?

Jerry, are you having trouble keeping up with my posts!

>  Putting aside the question of the degree to which Shaikh's and
>Gouverneur's positions on the TP are similar to your own

I am just using Gouverneur's iteration table B.3 on p. 291 of his
contemporary capitalism and marxist economics. Gouverneur argues that
the table is inspired by Shaikh.

>(on the later question, I found Alejandro R's remarks informative),
>why should the Bhandari solution be understood as being synonymous
>with the "Moseley solution" (I put this in quotes because I don't
>recall hearing Fred refer to his "solution")?

Gouverneur grants that his iteration violates the second equality,
which he seems to understand as the stipulation that the sum of
branch profits in both the unmodified and modified schemes should
equal the sum of surplus value (the total in the profit column) in
the first tableau.

I argue that the second equality is not such an 'invariance
condition.' Since Marx defined surplus value as total value minus
cost price and the rate of profit as surplus value/cost price, he
could not have that the modification of the cost price due to the
transforming of the inputs--which is what the iteration does--would
leave the sum of surplus value and the rate of profit invariant.

That is, I argue that the so called second equality interpreted as an
invariance condition is the pure fantasy of
Bortkiewicz-Sweezy-Catephores and many others. I may be the first to
argue this.

But then what does the second equality that sum of surplus value=sum
of branch profits mean?

This is where I turn to Fred (Moseley).

Fred has argued correctly that for Marx, the average rate of profit
is not determined simultaneously with prices. Rather it is determined
by first determining the mass of surplus value as total value minus
cost price; then the mass of surplus value is divided by cost price
to arrive at the average rate of profit; then each branch cost price
is multiplied by this r to arrive at branch profits the sum of which
is necessarily the same as the mass of surplus value.

That is,the second equality is not an invariance condition but a a
macro, logical method of determining from the antecedently derived
mass of surplus value both the average rate of profit and respective
branch profits such that the sum of the these branch profits equals
the sum of surplus value.

In each of Gouverneur's iterations, the mass of surplus value is
determined first by subtracting from total value cost prices which
have been modified by applying the output PV ratios on the inputs.
Once this modified mass of surplus value is determined, then the
average rate of profit is determined which when multiplied by the
respective modified cost prices of the branches ensures that the mass
of profit will equal the sum of surplus value in each iteration.
Thus, in each iteration the mass of surplus value does indeed
determine the sum of branch profits. The second equality is thus in
fact preserved.

Again: Gouverneur's iterative method does in fact maintain both
equalities, properly interpreted. Again Marx could not have meant the
second equality as an invariance condition since having defined
surplus value as total value minus cost price and the rate of profit
as surplus value/cost price, he could not have thought that the mass
of surplus value and the rate of profit would remain invariant as the
cost price is modified.

One may then ask why do I allow for total value/price to remain
invariant? Well, this iteration is not changing the quantity of live
and dead labor and thus the total value in the system; this iteration
is changing merely the prices of the inputs in an iterative manner.
But as cost prices change, so must surplus value and the rate of
profit for the reasons which I have given.  So the second equality is
not an invariance condition. It is to the meaning of the sum of
surplus value determining the sum of branch profits that I have
turned to Fred to interpret this second equality rather as Marx's
macro, logical method of determining the sum of branch profits by the
antecedently established mass of surplus value. And this macro,
logical method is in fact used in each of Gouverneur's iterations.

Yours, Rakesh