[OPE-L:4440] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 equalities, one invariancecondition

From: Ajit Sinha (ajitsinha@lbsnaa.ernet.in)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2000 - 05:14:52 EST

Rakesh Narpat Bhandari wrote:

> Ajit, you have not understood what I have proposed. So only a quick
> response to point out where you have not understood me.
>

> >___________________________
> >Your first three equations will determine the relative prices of x, y, and the
> >third commodity z, and the rate of profits r.
>
> The set of equations can be solved for the absolute prices as well.

______________

What do you mean by "absolute price"?
_________________

> >  Before I mention the problems with
> >your equations (4) and (5), let me first suggest to you that your
> >equations are
> >pure numbers. You consistently fail to mention the units in which
> >the variables
> >are measured.
>
> One money dollar represents one hour of social labor time. The value
> of money is held constant. So the total value of 875 is simply $875.
> In the initial tableau, the input means of production thus cost $375
> and the input wage goods $300. Etc.

__________________

The introduction of dollar in your system is illegitimate. And the stipulation that
"dollar represents one hour of social labor time" is doubly illegitimate. How can
you say a thing like that arbitrarily?
___________________

> >  As a matter of fact, the question of the unit of measure is the
> >crux of the transformation problem. So if you don't have the problem of unit
> >upper most in your mind, you cannot even begin to understand the nature of the
> >problem, let alone solving it. Now, my sense is that you would say,
> >the numbers
> >are given in money terms.
>
> Right. This is exactly how Marx proceeds.
>
> >Now, your world of equations have three commodities.
> >It appears that the first one is something like iron, second one is something
> >like wheat, and the third one could be gold.
>
> Nope it's a luxury good, let's say porcelain.  I am not letting the
> money commodity into this; the value of money is held constant. One
> labor hour is represented by $1. That's it. I have provided you with
> a long quote from Grossmann justifying this theoretical choice.

Who cares about Grossmann? This is simply illegitimate. So there is no need to go
any further with it. Cheers, ajit sinha