[OPE-L:4459] Re: Technical change and general truths

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 07:34:05 EST

Hi Steve,

Have you not seen Fred's stuff? He's got hundreds of quotes from
Marx on this. Marx thought that the treatment of SV prior to its
distribution into profit, interest and rent was one of the two key
contributions he made to political economy (the other being lab /
lab-power).

My comment / question to you tried to make the general point that
anything connected with 'social structure' might be considered prior
to and independent of individual activity (will and consciousness).
So if 'SV' is such, then there is no absurdity. Your brief reply leaves
me in the dark as to your general take on soc structure vs.
individual but it does suggest that your distaste for the view in
question is down to rather more specific matters, ie down to the
transformation problem. But what if there is a real causal process
that does indeed substantiate Marx's claim regarding SV? Or at
the very least, what if Marx *thinks* he has established such a
process? (Obviously, this is my interpretation of Marx on
exploitation). Then why your harsh judgement on the whole
procedure? Neither on *general* (social structure vs. individual)
grounds nor specific (transformation problem) grounds would your
judgement be valid. Rather, you would instead have to attack a
different interpretation, ie. you would have to argue that the 'real
causal process' doesn't exist. Fair enough, we could debate that,
but without unjustified harsh language from the outset.

I mean what is the point of an email list like this, or debate
generally, if you are going to refuse to even countenance a view
which is at the heart of many other people's interpretations of Marx
(and of Marx's self-assessment of his own position)?

Andy