[OPE-L:4460] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Technical change and general truths

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 08:24:17 EST

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Steve Keen wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> Yes, I agree that I used harsh language, and I stand by it.
>
> As you put it, this argument is that "the total amount is LOGICALLY
> DETERMINED prior to the determination of the individual
> parts". My systems-oriented mind can't help but ask 'by what mechanism?'.
>
> To me, this argument is as specious as the one Friedman used to define
> uncertainty, that individual incomes are unknown, but aggregate income is
> known and never changes.
>
> Both propositions are balderdash, irrespective of the politics of the
> authors who uttered them. Unless these 'variables' are determined in some
> aggregate fashion by some meaningful system, and then split up between
> individuals, then the alleged mechanism is nothing other than a nonsense
> abstraction used to sustain a nonsense theory--again, whether that theory
> be marxian or neoclassical.
>
> In other words, if capitalism is a disaggregated system of production and
> distribution, then you have to work from the units up, and not from the top
> down. This is not an argument for methodological individualism of course,
> nor a denial of the fact that perceptions and magnitudes at the systemic
> level affect its components.
>
> cheers,
> Steve

Steve, in a sense, Marx's theory does "work from the units up".

In Volume 1, Marx's theory first determines the individual amounts of
surplus-value produced by any given capital, as the difference between the
new-value produced by its workers (NVi = mLi) and the variable capital
invested (Si = NVi - Vi).

However, Marx's theory is not just about this individual capital.  Rather,
it is about what ALL capitals have in common - the production of
surplus-value.  Thus, this same theory of surplus-value applies to EACH
and EVERY capital, and hence to ALL capitals together, i.e. to the total
social capital.  Therefore, the total amount of surplus-value is
determined by the sum of all the individual amounts of surplus-value
produced by all the individual capitals.  In this sense, the total amount
of surplus-value is indeed "worked up" from the individual amounts of
surplus-value produced by the individual capitals.  The "mechanism" of
going from the individual amounts of surplus-value to the total amount of
surplus-value is simple aggregation.

However, it still remains true that, in Marx's theory, the total amount of
surplus-value is determined prior to the subsequent division of this total
amount into the individual parts of industrial profit, merchant profit,
interest, and rent.  This latter point is what I have emphasized and to
which Rakesh has referred.  The reason why the total amount of
surplus-value is determined prior to its division into the individual
parts of profit, etc. is that all these individual parts have the same
source: the surplus labor of workers.  This sets the limit of the sum of
the parts.  As Ian put it in (4453), the production of surplus-value is "a
more fundamental feature" of the capitalist system that how the
surplus-value is distributed through competition.

This seems to me to be a perfectly valid logical procedure - the total
amount of surplus-value is first determined as the sum of the individual
amounts of surplus-value and then this total amount of surplus-value is
divided into the individual parts of profit, interest, etc.

I don't see the relevance of the Friedman example.  In Marx's theory, the
individual amounts of surplus-value are not unknown; they are determined
by the theory of surplus-value in Volume 1.  The total surplus-value is
then determined as the sum of these individual amounts of
surplus-value.  Furthermore, Marx certainly does not assume that the total
amount of surplus-value "never changes".  Rather, Marx assumes only that
once the total amount of surplus-value is determined for a given period,
its magnitude is not affected by the subsequent division of this total
amount into the various "forms of appearance of surplus-value" in Volume
3.

Steve, thanks for the discussion.

Comradely,
Fred