[OPE-L:4476] Re: Rakesh on Luxemburg

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 11:48:35 EST

>Rakesh,
>
>Please don't forget to find the page citations to Luxemburg, for your
>statement in #4454.  This is important because, in my experience,
>assertions about Luxemburg fly around and often times cannot be backed up
>by a careful reading.  I don't know what is the case here; we'll hopefully
>be able to find it out when know what we are talking about.
>
>Thanks, Paul Z.

And I had quoted Mattick Sr:

>>The schema of value on  which
>>Luxemburg's analysis is based has different rates of profit in  the
>>various branches of production, and these rates are not equated  to
>>average rates, since the schema take no account of competition.  What do
>>Luxemburg's conclusions amount to then as regards reality,  when they are
>>derived from a schema having no objective validity?

Paul (Z), this was then your question

"Regarding your phrase (third paragraph below) that "the schema of value on
which Luxemburg's analysis is based has different rates of profit in  the
various branches of production", could you give me the page citations to
Luxemburg for this statement?  This reading doesn't ring a bell in me."

I believe Paul Mattick Sr here was referring to Marx's volume 2
schema as the basis of Luxemburg's work. Indeed in the passage which
I reproduced in that post, there is no quote attributed to Luxemburg.

Yours, Rakesh