[OPE-L:4481] Re: Re: Re: Re: Rakesh on Luxemburg

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 17:18:50 EST

>Paul Z wrote in 4477:

>>Rakesh,
>>
>>I'm not clear on your answer.  What I was looking for is page citations to
>>Luxemburg, not page citations to Mattick on Luxemburg.  Do I understand
>>your answer to be that the relevant citation is to Marx's schemes of
>>extended reproduction in Volume 2

>yes

>>and that Marx was somehow at fault in
>>misleading people, including Luxemburg, with his schemes.

>No Mattick Sr's point is that while Marx stated explicitly the
>completely unrealistic assumptions on which his schema are based  (annual
>turnover of fixed capital, exchange at value, constant  value), the
>schema were nonetheless used to reach conclusions about  the consequences
>of capital accumulation.

So, there is no basis for criticizing Luxemburg for studying the
implications of Marx's schema.  She was not inventing her own schema which
was the way she was presented to this list (or at least the way it read to
me).

Put another way, let's acknowledge that there are TWO criticisms of Marx's
schema -- Luxemburg's and Grossman's/Mattick's.  Grossman/Mattick seem to
have wanted to tear Luxemburg's down to promote their own criticism.  I
have countered by criticizing their handling of her.

Paul Z.