[OPE-L:4549] Re: Imperialism

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 14:34:54 EST

>I would like to raise a new topic.

That's fine, Paul C. But do note that for decades now critics like
you have been accusing Marx of having suffered from a fatal logical
defect to which only obscurantists can remain blind. This is a
serious charge which has been made with absolute arrogance.

I have tried to meet this argument head on, given the assumptions of
the critics, viz. that the inputs have to be transformed into the
same prices of production as the outputs. Nor have I denied that Marx
did not include the inputs in his transformation procedure.

Now I have won enough high school and college debating rounds and
tournaments at the state and national level to know that you want to
move on before responding to my counterargument.

1. I assume the unit of account is a unit of labor time. Ajit has
cried that this is bloody arbitrary, but note that Bortkiewicz and
Sweezy never claimed that it was any less justified than choosing
Dept III's good as both the value and price unit, thereby setting p3
or z at 1. In fact Bortkiewicz and Sweezy themselves begin with my
assumption, and Sweezy grants that it is a perfectly logical
assumption in the handling of the transformation problem (see p. 117
and 122). In fact it is less arbitrary than assuming that Dept III is
only gold production, and that since gold is the money commodity,
Dept III can be set equal in the value and price schemes (look at the
mental gymnastics Sweezy peforms to justify this assumption at the
bottom of p. 117).

2. On the basis of this assumption of one hour of labor as the unit
of account, Sweezy initially (and correctly) sets the sum of prices
in the unmodified scheme equal to the sum of the prices of production
in the modified scheme. He then has this invariance condition plus
the three Dept transformation equations (see top p. 117). The reason
Sweezy gives for not proceeding on this basis is not that this set of
equations is incorrect (in fact I and many others have argued that it
is the only invariance condition permissable in terms of Marxian
theory) but rather that it is too mathematically complicated (4
equations, 4 unknowns), so he searches for a way to reduce the
problem to 3 equations, 3 uknowns (p.117-18).

3. Meek then argues that proceeding this initial way is even more
damaging to Marxian theory because the sum of profits will no longer
in any meaningful sense be derivable from the predetermined sum of
surplus values in the unmodified scheme (see Meek, Smith, Marx and
After, also p. 117).

4. I argue that it is grossly antithetical to Marxian theory to
suppose that if we are given a commodity output with a fixed
magnitude of value or price (its monetary expression), a modification
in cost price will not lead to an inverse modification in that
predetermined sum of surplus value. Meek is simply wrong that the sum
of surplus value should on the basis of Marxian theory remain
invariant as the inputs are included in the transformation procedure.

  Total value is always broken down in Marxian theory into the
components of cost price and surplus value which vary inversely.
Since the complete transformation modifies cost price on the basis of
the transformation of the inputs, it must allow for the mass of
surplus value to be modified in the opposite direction if both cost
price and surplus value are to remain inversely related, resolved
components of total value, rather than independently determined
magnitudes.  This simply follows from Ricardo's critique of Smith's
adding up theory of price.

5. This means that the complete transformation procedure in which the
inputs are included is much more complicated than Bortkiewicz or
Sweezy or Meek or Cottrell realize.

For now we can no longer assume that we are simply distributing the
same fixed magnitude of surplus value. The mass of surplus value will
change in opposite direction to the change in cost prices brought
about by the transformation of the inputs. We have to allow for this
modification of surplus value while still having the sum of Dept
profits set equal to this modified sum of surplus value.

6. Towards that end, I have proposed both a set of equations and a
method of iteration by which a. the mass of surplus value remains
derived entirely from unpaid labor, thereby not putting a chink in
the theory of exploitation and b. the sum of profits in the modified
scheme has been determined by the sum of surplus value.

You have questioned the unit of account which I suppose, though you
do not deny that for the purposes of the transformation it not
unreasonable to assume that the unit of account is a unit of labor
time; Allin has argued for a different definition of surplus value
without proving that with his definition he will not be caught in
adding up theory of price any time the cost price of a commodity is
modified.

You are of course free to ignore this message. But I don't take to
being called an obscurantist lightly, and I don't think Marx's value
theory is in the least damaged by completing the transformation so
that the inputs are included. It may still be true that the neo
Ricardian method for profit and price determination is superior due
to its ability to handle joint production, the long life of capital
goods and various other real world complications, but Marx's value
theoretic transformation procedure does not collapse upon inclusion
of the inputs.

Yours, Rakesh