[OPE-L:4569] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: transformation

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 14:26:24 EST

Allin,

You presented the B-S tableau and then carried out the iteration
implicit in their set of transformation equations.

I also proposed a method of iteration based on another set of
equations which were neither over nor underdetermined. I argued that
in this iteration both equalities would be maintained.

You then replied that while the first equality was given by
stipulation in my iteration, the second equality would not be
maintained upon completion of the iteration.

You said that surplus value, defined as total value minus the value
of the inputs, would not be equal to the sum of profits in the final
modified scheme.

I then showed that your definition of surplus value could not be
Marx's for it leads to an adding up theory of price. You have not
denied that your definition does lead to an adding up theory of
price!  In fact you simply ignored the latter half of a recent
message in which I showed again that this does follow from your
definition of surplus value.  Though you  propose no definition of
surplus value, you still insist that the mass of surplus value does
not equal the sum of profits as the transformation procedure is
extended to the inputs.

I have shown that the definition of surplus value as total price
minus cost price is textually supported (even in the passages which
you cite), and is implied by Marx's acceptance of Ricardo's critique
of Smith's adding up theory of price. You have not denied this either.

By this definition of surplus value, the second equality is
maintained in the final modified equilibrium scheme of the iteration
which I propose. Moreover, the second equality is given in the fourth
of my equations (the sum of surplus value, properly defined as total
price minus cost price, is given on the left side and the sum of
branch profits is given on the right side); since (as it turns out)
this set of equations is  neither over nor underdetermined, this
transformation procedure can be solved while maintaining the second
equality.

If you are going to continue to argue that I do not maintain the
second equality, you have to provide an argument and textual support
for the definition of surplus value implicit in your charge that in
my final tableau the theorem that the mass of surplus value
determines the sum of profits is not preserved. If you do not define
the terms in the two theorems or equalities which must be preserved
in the complete transformation, how can we possibly make progress
in the debate?

You have not even given evidence for the 100 year old dogma that Marx
thought the sums of surplus values for the respective departments or
branches would remain unchanged once the inputs were transformed as
well, which of course is something Marx did not do.

  I have given you clear evidence (p. 309) where Marx  recognized that
the relation between necessary and surplus labor or the rate of
surplus value (and thus the sums of surplus values) would indeed be
modified once wage goods were allowed to be sold above or below
value. Why is this not evidence that the sum of surplus values is
also an unknown, not an invariance condition, in the complete
transformation?

You of course have not denied that profit remains entirely derived
from unpaid labor throughout the iteration which I propose. You have
not denied that Marx's transformation algorithm (the nine steps which
I specified) provides a determinate method of iteration by which a
non obvious vector of equilibrium prices can indeed be generated
while at the same time there remains positive profit, derived
entirely from unpaid labor, since at no point in the iteration will
total price be entirely resolved into cost price as it modified by
the transformation of the inputs.

To someone as naive as me, this all seems to indicate that Marx's
value theoretic transformation procedure is indeed logically sound
even as it extended to the inputs.  To me it seems that high faluting
algebra has become the weapon by which bourgeois economists have
attempted to slay Marx or at least discourage students from taking up
its research programme with bombastic claims that Marxian value
theory is fatally logically flawed and unscientific. It is nothing to
be wondered at that the accusations are made not by openly bourgeois
academics but economists dressed in leftist clothing. Why would it be
otherwise? When has it been otherwise?

Happy thanksgiving, Rakesh