[OPE-L:4680] Re: Re: David Yaffe on Ricardo and Marx

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 23:45:04 EST

Paul B.

Thanks for your reaction.  I am sympathetic to your statement of a big
break between Ricardo and Marx.  The problem is that Sieber's 1871 book
which Marx read (you refer to the later 1885 edition after Marx had died)
doesn't suggest such a big break.  Marx praises the book in the 1873
German Afterword and in his 1881 notes on Wagner -- even noting the one
can understand the difference between Ricardo and himself (Marx) from
reading Sieber!  Pretty dramatic, isn't it?  I think we need to explain
this dissonance, not ignore it or simply assert that Marx was not a
Ricardian and move on.   (I'm a bit surprised David Yaffe has not yet
reacted as it was his intro that caused the issue to come to the fore)

Paul Z.

Paul Zarembka, editor, RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY at
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka