[OPE-L:4737] Re: Perelman on "Primitive Accumulation": Lenin rather than Luxemburg?

From: michael perelman (michael@ECST.CSUCHICO.EDU)
Date: Sat Jan 06 2001 - 17:39:10 EST

I am now at the economics meetings, so I can only respond to a couple of
Paul's points right now.  To begin with, I am grateful that he took the time
to read my book, and to do so carefully.
 I did not mention Luxemburg because I was trying to do something that Marx
also did, but with a narrower focus: to look at the emergence of capitalism
through the works of the classical political economists.
 Paul takes issue with my use of the citation regarding the multiplication of
the proletariat.  In early capitalism -- and Marx makes this point clearly --
technical change was minimal.  Much of the improvement in productivity came
from the extension of the working day.  Like the mercantilists before them,
the key was to engage more people into the labor force, at least within the
domestic economy.
 With regard to Marx's restriction of primitive accumulation to the
pre-history, I hope that explained myself in the text adequately.  Marx made
that restriction to emphasize that exploitation is not just a matter of
"unfair" behavior on the part of some "bad" capitalist, but it is part of the
normal functioning of the market in which workers get paid the for the value
of their labor power.
 Paul, in a private note to me, suggested that he took issue with me, in part,
because he thought that my emphasis on primitive accumulation detracted from
the accumulation of capital, proper.  I hope that he is wrong.  That was not
my intent.
 I did imply that primitive accumulation is not merely something that happens
all at once and then ceases, but I also believe that the role of primitive
accumulation diminishes as capital accumulation becomes the dominant force.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321