[OPE-L:4738] Re: RE: Re: Re: Re: SV and the F of D

From: Gil Skillman (gskillman@MAIL.WESLEYAN.EDU)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 15:09:59 EST

Julian excerpts the following truncated passage from me

>... D)  As noted before, the key systemic basis for surplus value is capital
>scarcity. ... capitalist exploitation can be eliminated simply through
>sufficient wealth redistribution.

and asks

>I don't get it: if the cause of capitalism is capital scarcity, how does
>re-distributing what is already insufficient abolish it?

You ellipsed out the key part of the passage, Julian.  Here's the passage
reproduced in full:

D) As noted before, the key systemic basis for surplus value is capital
scarcity. **Marx puts this point even more strongly in Ch. 33 of Volume I:
if workers own their own means of production, then the capitalist mode of
production is impossible (see pages 933 and 940).** This has a number of
powerful implications, but note just one: the contrapositive of Marx's
claim is that capitalist exploitation can be eliminated simply through
sufficient wealth redistribution. [Emphasis added]

That is, it's *Marx* who has insisted that this stronger version of capital
scarcity is required for the existence of
capitalist exploitation.  So let Marx answer your question, again from Ch.
33 of Volume I:

"It is the great merit of E.G. Wakefield to have discovered, not something
new *about* the colonies, but, *in* the colonies, the true about capitalist
relations in the mother country....'If,' says Wakefield, 'all the members
of the society are supposed to possess equal portions of capital...no man
would have a motive for accumulating more capital than he could use with
his own hands.  This is to some extent the case in new American
settlements, where a passion for owning land prevents the existence of a
class of labourers for hire.'   So long, therefore, as the worker can
accumulate for himself--and this he can do so long as he remains in
possession of his means of production--capitalist accumulation and the
capitalist mode of production are impossible." [pp 932-33].

Gil