[OPE-L:4828] Re: Re: value: primary, secondary; latent, possessed? (was eigenvalues)

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2001 - 14:12:00 EST

re 4827

Paul C wrote:

>I would say that values are not a property of the commodity
>but a property of the system of production that made them.

And this is where have differed from day one. I agree that
"possessed" value is not a property of the commodity and that it is
indeed a property of a system. Your correction here is most
important, and accepted.

But as I wrote to Steve K (and to quote myself again), value is only
latent in the system of production alone. That is, value describes a
system--the thing being measured and the measurement being
made--rather than being an independent description of the thing being
measured. Monetary ex-change is thus more than the passive
ascertainment of a pre-existing property but is rather the production
of a datum (value) though the active involvement of measurer and
thing measured. In short, the transformation of quantities of various
forms of concrete labor into homogeneous, abstract labor or value
occurs precisely through (and not before) market exchange.

Long ago, you charged that this would lead me  directly  to a utility
or subjective theory of value. But this is not the case, for as Allin
put it then, I am not here saying that the magnitude of value is
determined by exchange; I am arguing that a commodity only possesses
(or is a) value (one side of a binary state) if it's successfully
monetarily exchanged.

>>At any rate, value is necessarily
>>  represented in money; and value expansion can only obtain in and
>>  through money.
>
>what is money in this context?

strictly speaking, God in the religion of everyday life. Which is
what I tried to suggest in my first post on money. I would add that
Marx is trying to show how one commodity under the pressure the
exchange of great quantities of goods ascends from earth to economic
heaven to become not merely a measure of value and a standard of
price, but in virtue of its functions of universal equivalent and
exchange medium, Value Incarnate.

Yours, Rakesh