[OPE-L:4847] Is TSS a Copernicun revolution?

From: Alejandro Ramos (aramos@btl.net)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 00:42:59 EST

Jerry:

Quickly, re your last post:

[...]

>The TSS perspective is not, as Andrew and other TSS advocates have
>repeatedly told us, a new social theory.

I really cannot recall anything written by a TSSer arguing that TSS is a
"new social theory". Can you quote some published piece saying that?

On the contrary, it's been always stressed that TSS is indeed an
*intepretation of Marx's value theory", as Fred's or Duncan's or the
standard physicalist versions are.

Andrew's post suggests a "Copernican Revolution" (note the quotation marks
that you forgot in your reply...) regarding *the interpretation of Marx's
value theory* in the sense that following the equilibrium oriented dominant
interpretation, Marx's value theory has alwasys seemed nonsensical,
self-contradictory, flawed, etc., etc. In the TSS interpretation, on the
contrary, some of its more controversial aspects seems to make sense. This
is the so-called "Copernican Revolution" the post refers to. Not a "new
social science".

In any case, I find the pairing of the TSS effort to a "Copernican
Revolution" misleading because people tends to get only this by side
aspect, then distorting the real issues.

>Rather it is a (relatively new)
>interpretation of Marx. If one wants to claim that TSS really does represent
>a Copernicun revolution in Marxian value theory then one must demonstrate
>that one has developed a revolutionary advance *beyond* what Marx wrote.

It is NOT a "revolution in Marxian value theory", as you write here, but
another perspective in the interpretation of Marx's value theory.

>Yet, this has not been claimed.

Of course not.

[...]

Good night!