[OPE-L:4861] RE: Was Marx a Copernican or what?

From: P.J.Wells@open.ac.uk
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 10:58:13 EST

In the spirit of this thread, I would say that Ricardo was Tycho Brahe; the
latter's own observations proved that Aristotelian dogma was wrong (there
was mutability in the heavens) but he couldn't bring himself to break with
Ptolemy -- hence, he had the sun orbit the earth and had the planets on
epicycles centred on the sun.

Compare, for instance, Ricardo's change of mind on the question of machinery
and unemployment.

Julian