[OPE-L:4881] RE: Give us some NUMBERS, Fred! (was: rentand theworking class)

From: Drewk (Andrew_Kliman@msn.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 00:55:38 EST

Rakesh, I'll be happy to answer your questions, but it is almost
impossible for me to carry on a discussion when you change the
subject like this.  Can you please slow down and deal with one
thing at a time?

You objected to the example I posed to Fred on the ground that it
was "dualistic" (I think you mean physicalist).  I pointed out
that I was only testing the truth-value of a specific claim that
he himself made -- that his (simultaneist) "prices of production
change if AND ONLY IF there is a change in the productivity of
labor somewhere in the economy."  To test this, I gave him an
example in which the productivity of labor rises and asked him to
give me changed prices of production.  I noted that I knew of no
other way of testing the truth-value of that claim, and asked
whether you did.

You haven't answered.  You haven't proposed an alternative test.
You do, however, continue to object to my test.

Okay, so if my test is no good, how would *you* propose to test --
quantitatively -- Fred's claim that "prices of production change
if AND ONLY IF there is a change in the productivity of labor
somewhere in the economy"?  I'm interested in a rigorous test, not
a verbal argument.

I had written that "it is not I, but Fred, who has claimed that he
'maps' technology onto prices of production (or vice-versa)."

Rakesh responded:  "Fred makes no such claim as I understand him.
Can we have chapter and verse please?"

Sure.  In OPE-L 4865, he wrote "prices of production change if AND
ONLY IF there is a change in the productivity of labor somewhere
in the economy."

Finally, what was that stuff about my post being co-written?

Andrew Kliman