[OPE-L:4895] Re: RE: Re: Give us some NUMBERS, Fred! (was: rent and the working class)

From: paul bullock (paulbullock@ebms-ltd.in2home.co.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 05:43:15 EST

Dear Drewk,

With respect to the building of examples which include impossible
propositions, ie workers living on air, why should I have to be put up to
anything by Jerry? I know nothing of more than recent OPEL exchanges.

Could you please give me the reference to the reference by 'the originator',
but please try to remember that Marx didn't really believe in the man on the
moon who buys without selling,  reductio ad absurdum and a good sense of
humour are fine in certain circumstances, but not as the basis for an
hypothesis.

That 'Marxists' , as you say, continually build models of reproduction
'without including' an armaments sector' does not mean that such sectors are
not essentally part of department IIb in Marx's own schema. How Marx is
misrepresented by others is one thing, we should try not to do so ouselves.
Indeed, I agree with you,  if the idea is inadequate to the object one has
grounds for complaint. Capitalism - modern imperialism - is impossible
without  armaments, but Marx's schemas easily accomodate this fact. That
others .. some now repentant.. such as Kidron, had so little undersatnding
of Marx that they invented Department III for the purpose is the obverse of
the problem.

You end by saying    "In any case, I don't think it is good to try to
constrain the free
movement of thought by making it conform so stringently to
appearances".   This begs the whole question of method, which is central to
the discussions in Opel; when and how to introduce mediating categories so
that appearances can be shown to be regulated by the basic social relations
of production..

Paul