[OPE-L:4905] Re: the value of labour power and the minimum wage

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 16:13:33 EST

Yes; remember that I did have the caveat about the value of labor power
being the minimum wage *except in times of crisis*. There's no doubt that
during times like the Great Depression, there was pressure to drive wages
below subsistence--but equally that it was resisted, with varying success.

Steve
At 08:48 AM 2/14/01 -0500, you wrote:
>In [OPE-L:4891] Steve K wrote:
>
>>  Yet *every* reference of one to the other that I
>> have found in Marx's own writings refers to the value
>>  of labor power as the
>> *minimum* wage
>
>See Vol 3, Ch. 14, Section 2 ("Reduction of wages BELOW their value",
>emphasis added, JL) of *Capital*  (Penguin/Vintage ed., p. 342).
>
>Regarding this possibility, Marx explicitly mentions the role of  *trade
>unions*  as a counter-veiling force: "trade unions wish to prevent the
>*price* of labour-power from falling below its value" (Volume 1, Penguin
>ed., p. 1069).
>But this quote is _not from *Capital*_ -- it is from the "Results of the
>Immediate Process of Production" which Marx chose not to include in Volume 1
>when it was published.
>
>In solidarity, Jerry

Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer