[OPE-L:4983] Re: Comments on 3 recent debates

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 00:23:16 EST

re 4982

>A few comments on matters recently debated.
>
>1. Price of production and technological change.
>
>I'm with Fred in that I don't see simultaneous equations as evil:

Allin,
The very point of Fred's elaboration of his macro method is to
counterpose it sharply to simultaneous equations! For example, the
methods yield  different magnitudes in the average rate of profit
once there are changes in the technical conditions in a luxury
sector--Andrew K and I once had a big fight about this.  But Fred
will elaborate (or hopefully he will have time to do so). And I think
he can  provide the numbers to show why his method is subtantively
different than simultaneous equations.

>I prefer this interpretation, despite its problems, because the
>alternative is worse, namely that Marx was just gibbering when he made
>his "double divergence" statements.  I haven't seen a rationalization
>of these statements, from the proponents of "cost-price plus", that
>makes any sense to me.

Thank you for noticing. As I said, it is interesting that on this
issue Alejandro, Andrew K and Fred are all agreed against me and (I
guess) you too.

Yours, Rakesh