[OPE-L:4989] Re: Comments on 3 recent debates

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 07:38:04 EST

As well as endorsing the thrust of Allin's superbly argued post, I'll
embellish two points he made in his first 2 paragraphs (well, that's how
this post started; I ended up getting carried away--blame a good wine and a
good dinner).

These are the propositions that "it's a secondary matter whether the shift
to the new equilibrium GDP occurs in one period (instantaneous multiplier)
or takes several periods", and "Drewk's changing prices of production
converge (ceteris paribus) to the ones found via the method of simultaneous
equations."

It is also a secondary issue whether convergence actually occurs. The
method of simultaneous equations locates the equilibrium of (strictly
speaking a linear representation of) a dynamic system; that equilibrium
itself can be either stable or unstable.

This clarification is worth making, because some may be inclined to reject
Allin's analysis on the basis that prices don't converge to the equilibrium
in the long run: in the long run, everything changes.

That, strictly speaking, is irrelevant to the question of whether the set
of simultaneous equations themselves are properly specified. Whether
defined in terms of Price=k or dP/dt=k, if they express the equilibrium of
the related dynamic system, then they will be internally consistent--they
will have a unique solution (whether or not that solution is stable; those
who don't understand this qualification should either consult a basic text
on Ordinary Differential Equations, or read my ROPE 1998 paper).

If on the other hand they are internally inconsistent, then equivalently
the dynamic system they describe will be ill-formed: it will either lack
determinate variables, or it will have too many equations in too few
unknowns (be overdetermined).

Coming from a dynamic modelling perspective, this is why I can't buy the
entire TSS program: if Marx's transformation of values into prices doesn't
work in a system of simultaneous equations, then it won't work in a dynamic
system as well (this isn't to say that the static answer to a question is
always identical to a dynamic answer--again something you should consult
ROPE 1998 if you don't understand).

Any dynamic model which purports to show consistency--for instance one
which argues that Marx really meant to include the *prices* of the means of
production in his calculations of values (or record the inputs in price and
the outputs in value, if that's TSS's methodology), even though he
occasionally said that the *value* of the means of production is paid for
and transferred to the output--will in reality be either overdetermined, or
have too many degrees of freedom.

On the Copernican tag, whether applied facetiously or otherwise, I am more
inclined to seeing TSS as Ptolemy's Last Gasp.

While I probably should apologise for the arrogance of this post, I also
can't resist a "party political" plug. If not even dynamics or TSS can save
Marx from inconsistency, then we have to accept there *is* an
inconsistency, and properly locate its source.

Sraffians have erroneously claimed that the source of simply a lack of
understanding of linear algebra, and with that have thrown 95% of Marx, his
philosophy and sense of dynamics, out the window. They have thrown the baby
out with the bathwater.

On the other hand, the TSS attempt to "save" Marx does little more than
preserve him as a Wax Museum relic. While I can easily accept that TSS's
(and Fred's, and Rakesh's, and whoever else has recently claimed to have
solved or proved the irrelevance of the transformation problem) methodology
generates a set of numbers which let us work out prices with multiple
sectors with differing capital to labour ratios and differing rates of
technical change and depreciation and whatever else we want to allow change
each period... and which show a tendency for the rate of profit to fall...
I cannot believe that their methodology in any way lets you do anything
else. There are many other aspects of capitalism we should be able to
analyse, but in the end, all we can do is "solve" or "prove irrelevant" the
transformation problem. TSS et alia have thrown the baby out, but kept the
bathwater.

There is a "third way" (hence the party political bit above): Marx's
underlying philosophy contradicts the labour theory of value. Marx's
Copernican Revolution should have been to free revolutionary thinkers from
the shackles of a simple but metaphysical and technically impossible
presumption that all value can ultimately be resolved into labour alone
(see Bose's *Marx on Exploitation And Inequality*, Oxford University Press,
Delhi, 1980). It was his Ptolemain failure to be unable to reconcile
himself to having found a way to disprove a proposition he had always
passionately believed). Please why can't Marxists take the time to work out
which is baby, and which is bathwater.

I'm quite willing to elaborate on what I believe the baby is, but I have
absolutely no expectation that anyone else on this list will be interested
in discussing what that may be.

Steve

Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer