[OPE-L:5051] Re: Re: Comments on 3 recent debates

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 08:32:39 EST

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Fred B. Moseley wrote:

> Andrew's short-run equilibrium prices of production change from
> period to period, even though there is no change in productivity.
> I think this is contrary to Marx's prices of production, which are
> the long-run equilibrium prices at the end of the adjustment
> process, and change only due to changes in productivity.
>
> What do you think?

I think that if one says "Changes in E are due solely to changes in
C", in a context where lagged adjustment may occur, this should be
taken to mean

  All changes in E can be ascribed or traced back to current or
  prior changes in C

which does not imply

  You'll never see a slice of time in which E changes but C does
  not

[N.B., I'm not actually defending Andrew's concept of prices of
production; I'm just suggesting that the sort of quotation you have
brought forward doesn't settle the matter.]

Allin.