[OPE-L:5057] Re: RE: The RRPE Controversy

From: Patrick L. Mason (pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 22:06:23 EST

Fellow OPE-Lers:

To paragraph Gil Scott-Heron, I'd said I wouldn't bother to engage in any
more discussions like this. I made a mistake.

I was a referee was for RRPE for 9 years, from 1991 - 2000. During that
time I refereed many papers related to one dimension or another of value
theory. I refereed papers from every conceivable Marxian, radical,
progressive, Sraffian, or other perspective. Never, not once, did I or
anyone who also refereed the same paper that I was assigned to engage in
either an individual or concerted effort to suppress or otherwise limit any
author's access to the pages of the RRPE.

The charge of suppression lacks merit.

I am no longer an editor of the RRPE. So, I do not speak for the journal,
its editors, or its steering committee. Rather, I speak as one who thinks
that the journal remains an invaluable voice for those carrying out
heterodox research. I strongly encourage every member on this list to
totally disregard any accusation that the RRPE has sought to suppress the
work of any individual or the perspective of any group of Marxian economists.

Honor and integrity demands that anyone who makes a public claim of having
suppress to present prima facie evidence that such suppression may actually
have taken place. If no prima facie evidence is forthcoming, charges of
political suppression should cease.

Nevertheless, for those who believe the false attack on the integrity,
honor, good name and character of unnamed and often un-thanked board of
editors at the RRPE, there is a very simple solution - present your work to
one of the very many alternative journals that are available. Science and
Society, Cambridge Journal of Economics, Review of Political Economy, and a
host of other competing but comradely journals are available. If one feels
that one cannot publish in the RRPE, then simply submit one's work to
another journal.

Anybody can charge anyone with anything at anytime they wish.

Thanks be to the God, the right to be heard doesn't carry an obligation to
be taken seriously.

Peace, Patrick L. Mason