[OPE-L:5127] transformation again

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 18:03:11 EST

Allin and Andrew K have both correctly underlined that with my
iteration in which total direct price is set equal to total price of
production,  the sum of surplus value--defined on the basis of Marx's
own words as total value, monetarily expressed, minus cost
price--could turn out be greater in the price of production scheme
than the direct price scheme.

They have then argued that since  live labor is putatively no longer
necessarily the sole source of surplus value, I have undermined the
exploitation theory of surplus value, which is obviously why Meek
held invariant the sum of surplus value in the transformation, just
as Allin did in the iteration which he sumbitted to the list.

But this specific criticism will not hold up (Allin has other
criticisms about how I have defined surplus value and how I handle
money).

My iteration does no damage to the labor theory of value for several reasons:

1. If the cost prices are reduced by the transformation such that the
inputs sell below value, the sum of surplus value will not be
increased thereby *unless live labor transfers gratis the value of
those means of production to the output*. The source of surplus value
remains live labor.

2. in my iteration the exploitation of live labor remains a necessary
and sufficient condition for the production of surplus value. For if
there were no surplus value in the direct price scheme, there could
be no transformation.

3. In my understanding, Marx did not argue that inputs selling below
value can never contribute to an enlargement of surplus value. He
said that on a systematic basis this could never be a secure source
of surplus value. And my iteration confirms that since only in truly
freak and practically irrelevant conditions in which dept III is
inordinately large and much more relatively capital intensive could
the sum of surplus value be enlarged through the transformation. My
iteration therefore stengthens the thesis that the expansion of
capital depends in practical terms on newly produced value by live
labor

4. even in the case in which the transformation allows the sum of
surplus value to be enlarged, surplus value remains derived
*entirely* from unpaid labor.

So as long as one chooses the correct invariance condition--which
Sweezy did not solely on the grounds that the mathematical problem
was too tough--it's possible to show that labor theory of value and
surplus value is not damaged by the inclusion of the inputs in the
transformation.

Yours, Rakesh