[OPE-L:5128] comparative statics

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 18:14:14 EST

Does the argument between TSS and its opponents come down to the
question of the methodology of comparative statics? Allin, Ajit and
others have defended its use, and argued that Marx himself employed
this method. But this strikes me as untrue even though I have
attempted a static solution to the transformation problem which I
claim maintains both equalities though Allin thinks I do so by
definitional trick.

At any rate,  comparative statics suffers from at least the following
well known defects:

1. it exogenizes technology and other sources of change.
2. it neglects transitional processes.
3. it eshews a real causal theory of the developmental consequences
of capital accumulation; in short it seems ill suited as a method to
lay bare the laws of motion.

All the best, Rakesh