[OPE-L:5150] Re: Re: Re: Re: the capital-form and the state

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 06:21:04 EST

Maybe you guys should read an old 19th century economist on this topic:

"When Ricardo here calls the wood ... a "valuable" commodity, then this
means only that it is potentially a
use-value... But it is not a "commodity". Because for this it would, at the
same time, have to be exchange-value,
in other words, to contain a certain quantity of labour expended upon it.
It only becomes a commodity ... by being transformed from wood into timber.
Or does it only become a commodity by the fact that it is sold?... Then we
would have to say: rent is the price paid to the owner of natural forces or
mere products of nature for the right of using those forces... But then the
question remains to be solved, how things which have no value can have a
price and how this is compatible with the general theory of value" (TSV II
p. 248.)

"'The compensation given for the mine or quarry, is paid for the value of
thecoal or stone which can be removed from them, and has no connection with
the original and  indestructible powers of the land.' [quoting Ricardo]

No! But there is a very significant connection with the "original and
destructible productions of the soil. The word "value" here is just as ugly
as the phrase "repaid himself with a profit" was above.

Ricardo never uses the word value for utility or usefulness or "value in
use". Does he therefore mean to say that the "compensation" is paid to the
owner of the quarries and coalmines for the "value" the coal and stone have
before they are removed from the quarry and the mine--in their original
state? Then he invalidates his entire doctrine of value. Or does value mean
here, as it must do, the possible use-value and hence the prospective
exchange-value of coal or stone?" (Marx 1861 Part II, p. 249)"

Cheers,
Steve

Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer