[OPE-L:5159] Re: Re: causes of changes in prices of production

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 14:08:56 EST

Fred's criticism does not apply to my set of transformation equations
which I have proposed to solve the problem which Bortkiewicz and
Sweezy put to Marx's theory.  Again it seems clear to me that the
problem to which Marx was admitting was not the inputs are in the
form of values or direct prices (on this I agree with Fred and
Alejandro) but rather that he had mistakenly assumed that value
transferred from the means of production was exactly equal to the
flow price of the machine as visible in the transformation tables.

The more profound mistake   to which Marx is confessing on that
famous p. 265 is that in his construction of the tableaux he had thus
treated value as if it were in principle observable and directly
measurable. But this simply cannot be since in a private enterprise
economy labor time relations are necessarily expressed in (and hidden
by) fetishistic price categories.

As is probably clear to the participants here, my interpretation
makes sense of Fred & Alejandro's evidence that for Marx the cost
prices are already a given precondition in monetary form as well
Allin's evidence of Marx's own recognition of a problem of double
divergence. But neither side has yet thanked me for providing an
interpretation in which each side's strong points are recognized,  Oh
well, boo hoo.

At any rate,  even if one accepts that the inputs are in the form of
direct prices (though Alejandro, Fred and Mattick jr are correct that
this is a misinterpretation),  the transformation can be solved as
long as one uses the correct definition of surplus value--Duncan has
called my definition a "phenomological" one off list.

So far Allin has accused me of preserving the second equality (sum of
surplus value=sum of profits) by means of a definitional "trick" and
a "corrupted" translation. The only problem with these heavy charges
has been that the textual evidence which Allin himself presented
defined terms exactly as I have.

Moreover, I have shown that Allin's own definition of surplus value
as the residual once the value of the inputs has been taken from the
value of the output cannot have been Marx's own since it cannot fend
off an adding up theory of price. As far as I can tell, Allin has
never responded to this point. In fact, his only reply to this point
has been to say that my definition of surplus value is even worse!

For it is obvious that once surplus value is the residual I say it is
on the basis of Marx's corrupted and uncorrupted quotations,  then
any modification of the cost prices on the basis of a price
transformation of the inputs implies an inverse modification of the
sum of surplus value. It then turns out to have been absurd that
anyone could have thought there should be two invariance conditions
in the transformation exercise or that two invariance conditions are
needed to preserve both equalities. Sweezy himself recognized that it
was perfectly legitimate to choose the other invariance condition
(total direct price=total price of production) while maintaining the
value of money as constant.

  And much like Winternitz this is what I have proposed (who was
Winternitz?).  Allin and Andrew then argued that my approach had an
obvious problem.  It would be possible if, c.b., the input prices of
means of production were to be reduced by the transformation below
their value that the sole source of surplus value would no longer be
the newly added value by live labor. So the criticism shifted here
from the charge that I could not maintain the second equality (which
I do after all by the trick of using Marx's own definitions) to the
charge that I would undermine the exploitation theory of surplus
value.

However, even in this freak case there is no damage to the
exploitation theory of surplus value, for the additional surplus
value in this practically irrelevant case derives entirely from live
labor transferring *gratis* the value of the inputs to the outputs.
Even in those cases where inputs can be bought below value, live
labor remains the sole source of surplus value.

There is clear sign of the unscientific nature of the transformation
problem debate that participants do not feel compelled to provide
clear definition of surplus value or clear formulas for the
determination and resolution of value. This allows for endless
disputation.

(1) def of sv: total value, as monetarily expressed, minus cost price
(2) det of v: Lmp + Lc => value
(3) res of v: value (as monetarily expressed) => k + s

=> means determination.

Fred however has clearly laid out his formula for value
determination. He, along with Alan F, base their of definition of
constant capital on a quote from TSVIII; I then reminded Fred that
the very next line of that quote--which of course announces Allin's
problem of double divergence--makes impossible the definition Fred
and Alan have derived from this quote (and unfortunately for
Alejandro there is no discussion of a capital of average composition
in this section).

There has not yet been a persuasive reply to Allin's and my later
criticism. Or even an attempt to account for why the very next line
of that quote can't be squared with the interpretation Fred and Alan
F make of it. Marx's expression for the determination of value is
clearly captured in eq 2 above. On this Allin and I agree, I think.

It's absolutely horrible that in attempting to defend Marx's theory
one has to beome immersed in scholastic disputation over definitions.
But unless one has a clear set of definitions and formulas as
above--and then defends them textually and theoretically--there is no
point in either critiquing or defending Marx especially in regards to
the transformation problem.

Yours, Rakesh