[OPE-L:5196] Re: Re: Re: use-value as qualitative

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 14:39:32 EST

Jerry,

I'm rather lucky that my PC crashed before I could reply to this, because
it gave me the chance to take a few deep breaths. I am accustomed to asking
others on this list to "read my lips", but not you. I choose my words
fairly carefully in my posts, and I would appreciate if you would read them
carefully.

I did NOT say that "qualitative issues lie outside of Marx's analysis". I
said that "qualitative issues form no part of his CORE analysis" (even that
statement I qualified. And of course, my statement was in contrast to the
neoclassicals--which further qualifies it).

But perhaps I didn't choose my words carefully enough. By "core", I meant
something like "foundation concepts from which he derived his pivotal
initial arguments on the source of value and determination of prices". I
hope that's clearer.

So I agree with everything you posted about the role of quality, but it
makes no difference to my argument, or to the difference between us over
this initial issue: whether use-value can be quantitative in Marx's CORE
(as defined above) analysis, and whether I had or had not found at least
prima facie textual evidence to support that--for example, the statement
that "use-value and exchange-value are intrinsically incommensurable
MAGNITUDES".

Now, from the next segment of your reply, it appears that you don't regard
this or any other textual excerpt I found as conclusive or even suggestive
of this interpretation. If so, I can't convince you, so as with so much
else on this discussion list, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Cheers,
Steve

Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer