[OPE-L:5209] [Mike W] Re: use-value as quantitative

From: glevy@pratt.edu
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 12:58:31 EST

From: Michael J Williams
<mjwilliams@dmu.ac.uk> Reply-To: mike.williams@dmu.ac.uk
Subject: RE: [OPE-L:5208] Re: Re: Re: Re: use-value as qualitative?

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:54:37 -0000

Well, I would contend that 'the ordinary rules of sentence construction'
certainly do not determine that your interpretation is the *only* correct
one. I will demonstrate this by offering a different interpretation,
entirely iaw these rules. More strongly, it seems to me that this passage
*cannot* bear the interpretation you out upon, but I am not sure how one
could prove such a thing.

We have the following propositions:

1. The exchange value of Labour Power is determined by the cost of
maintaining it
	(For example, half a day's labour may be necessary to keep the
labourer
alive during 24 hours)

2. The use value of Labour Power is its daily expenditure in work

[3. These two are totally different things]

4. That the expenditure of labour required to keep the labourer alive for 24
hours is less than one working day (as in the example) does not prevent them
from working a whole day.

Therefore, in the example:

5. The exchange value of labour-power is half a working day's labour

There are no other (relevant) conclusions to be drawn from these
propositions taken alone. In particular that in general (i.e. not just in
this example) 'the use-value of Labour Power is its daily expenditure in
work' (2.) does not imply or even suggest that the use-value of labour power
= 1 working day.

[Note that 3. asserts that the exchange and use values of labour are
'totally different things' - *not* that they differ only quantitatively.]

But, along with many other related propositions about the use-value of
labour Power in Marx's work, we can infer that the use-value of labour power
is that it can produce more value in a day than is required to reproduce it.
It has this use-value for the capitalist just so surplus-value is indeed
positive - regardless of how big that sv is (which is anyway a
*value*-magnitude not a *use-value* magnitude.)

So, as I argued in my last post: use-value may be quantifiable - but not
generally in the same units as value. Even in the case of the very peculiar
'commodity', labour-power, it's use-value to the capitalist - that it can
produce more value (&/or labour time) than is required to reproduce it does
not, per se, make its *use-value* quantifiable in value-units. What is
compared here are two value-quantities: the value needed to reproduce labour
power; and the value of the product of labour (expended labour power).

There are a number of elisions in my arguments here, for the sake of
brevity. But we can fill them in if discussion warrants it, without changing
the conclusions.

Comradely greetings,

michael