[OPE-L:5210] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: use-value as qualitative?

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 16:12:04 EST

A consideration of the implications of this
issue from the perspective of the logical method
employed by Marx in terms of the ordering of
categories:

1. Steve wants us to believe that uv and ev are
both "entities [which] are measured in units of
socially necessary abstract  labor-time".

If  this were true, then it would imply that the
categories of value and abstract labor are
more abstract than the more "concrete"
categoies of uv and ev.  I.e. abstract labor and
value would have had to be derived first and
we would then move to the categories of uv and
ev which (as expressed by Steve above)
presuppose the prior development of the
categories of value and abstract labor. Yet, the exact opposite in terms of
the ordering of these
categories is done by Marx.

2. If uv  is a unity of both quality and quantity,
then it presupposes *simpler* categories upon
which uv is derived.  Yet, there are no simpler
categories (that I can think of) that are required
to adequately conceptualize uv where quality
and quantity  first come into conflict with each
other in terms of simple unity and difference.
Rather, the progression to a unity of quality
and quantity only happens *after* the
dialectical relationship of uv, ev, and value
are developed and the core of the commodity-
form is thus reconstructed in thought.

In solidarity, Jerry