[OPE-L:5229] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: RE: Re: [Mike W] Re: use-value as quantitative

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 01:33:43 EST

No Rakesh,

 From my point of view, and Bose's, I haven't confused physical
productivity with value productivity. Bose's argument is quite different in
style to mine--and well worth reading. We both find a more direct link
between physical and value productivity than exists with the LTV, but our
routes to that conclusion differ. My route is directly from the concepts of
use-value and exchange-value.

I argue that use-value is quantitative in the M--C--M+ circuit, and
measured in value units, and the two magnitudes are incommensurable with
each other in the sense Marx meant, which was that one plays no role in
determining the other *for strict commodities*. This incommensurability
means there will be a difference between the use-value and the
exchange-value of *any* input to production--no input is privileged above
any other. All are potential sources of surplus-value.

The analysis is more complex when one takes into account the fact that
neither labor nor machinery are strict commodities in the sense Marx
considers them in the first 9 chapters of capital--as indeed neither is
money, which Marx nonetheless also treats as a commodity in that section of
his analysis. When one allows for the non-commodity aspects of labor and of
machinery (and money), you get complications to this basic result. However,
the basic result remains accurate given the issues from which it abstracts.

Take a careful look at the section of capital after the quote I have
given--in the Progress Press edition, from pages 188-199. Disregard the
issue of whether my interpretation of Marx is or is not valid: just look at
how Marx attempts to make the case that machinery does not produce
surplus-value. You will see that an enormous part of his argument is in
terms of the use-value and exchange-value of machinery. I argue that he
achieved the result he wanted by erroneously equating the use-value of the
machine to its exchange-value--whereas when talking of labor, he was
adamant that the two (value) quantities are incommensurable. I regard this
as the error of logic which preserved the labor theory of value.

I don't hold an iceblock in hell's chance of convincing you of my argument,
and I'm not attempting to do so. What I am trying to point out to you,
however, is the extent to which the intellectual challenge Marx set himself
in this crucial part of capital was expressed in terms of the use-value and
exchange-value of machinery. I believe that the vast majority of marxists
miss this issue completely (the only ones who ever saw it were Hilferding,
Rosdolsky, Groll, Desai, and me).

Steve

Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer