[OPE-L:5230] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: one commodity models and illustrations

From: Duncan K. Foley (foleyd@cepa.newschool.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 17:18:18 EST

I don't think I agree with all of these methodological points.

In general, models always abstract from critical features of reality.
The important question is whether the model has enough detail to
throw light on the problem it's aimed at. For example, it is very
difficult to deal with the relation between c and v in empirical
studies of most modern economies because the data is not available at
the flow level to measure c. But I don't think that means Marxist
economics should just give up on those economies.

I agree with you that "specific to capitalism" requires a the concept
of labor-power, but I don't see why you tack "multi-commodity
production" onto the list, in the sense that the technology has to
have a significant difference in compositions of capital across
sectors. Some capitalist economies might have relatively little
dispersion of compositions of capital, but they would still be
capitalist.

Duncan

--
Duncan K. Foley