[OPE-L:5237] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: use-value as qualitative

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@sociais.ufpr.br)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 08:43:39 EST

I've been teaching political economy for a decade now and a question i
have consitently asked in my exams was: Use the concepts of value of
labor power and use value of labor power in order to derive surplus
value. Interestingly enough and against my explicit emphasis the
students insisted in just subtracting the value of labor power from the
use value of labor power. I went out of my way to explain to them that
we had first to convert the use value of labor power into a quantitative
dimension before we could subtract the value of labor power. I repeated
over and over again that we could not subtract value from use value the
same way we cannot subtract the value of a pen from its use value as a
means to write. The conversion of the use value of labor power into a
quantitative dimension is its actual use for a specific period of time.
Outside its actual use we cannot obtain its quantitative dimension.
That's also the reason why capitalists are so zealous in making sure
this quantitative dimension is put to good use. Was I giving lower
grades than due for this past decade?
Paulo Cipolla