[OPE-L:5246] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: one commodity models and illustrations

From: Duncan K. Foley (foleyd@cepa.newschool.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 17:45:13 EST

Models are far from the whole content of a theory, and this is
particularly true for Marx. They still play an indispensable role in
linking theoretical concepts to reality in Marx's work. For example,
Marx's discussion of simple reproduction is a model intended to
clarify certain issues about the balance of demand and supply. It's
not a good representation of concrete capitalist reality for several
reasons, including the fact that real capitalist societies always
accumulate, and that accumulation always involves changes in the
composition of capital, the scale of production and so forth. My
point was certainly not that we should restrict Marxist theoretical
practice to model-construction, but that when we do model
construction we should do it critically and parsimoniously.

Duncan

--
Duncan K. Foley
Leo Model Professor