[OPE-L:5254] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [Mike W] Re: use-value as quantitative

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 12:34:15 EST

re 5247

>Hi Rakesh.
>
>You remind us of some good points Marx made about Ricardo's world
>view, but I was talking more narrowly about the concept of the
>"use-value" of a machine.
>
>Duncan

Dear Duncan,
Marx's dynamics centers on the contradictory use value of the machine
(and you would surely put the point much better than I do here).

  On the one hand, the machine is useful to the capitalist because it
allows him to reduce unit values by substituting a lesser sum of
indirect labor for a greater sum of paid direct labor on a per unit
basis (of course if capitalists had to pay for the total labor
performed, instead of simply labor power, the use value of the
machine would even have a greater scope). On the other hand, the
machine is useful in that it allows for the absorption of surplus
labor or production of newly added value. However, the less direct
labor employed relative to total capital--that is, the more unit
values are reduced--the more difficult it becomes for the capitalist
to absorb surplus labor.

However, Marx does not only consider the use of machines from the
perspective of value or net revenue. On the one hand, Marx emphasizes
the use of machines on gross revenue, i.e., in terms of the use
values available for working class consumption. On the other hand,
Marx emphasizes that even from the narrow perspective of valorization
or absorption of surplus labor, what matters is not only the value of
machinery but its quantity in use value terms. So as I said in my
last post with an expanded  mass of the elements of production, even
if their value is the same, more workers can be introduced into the
productive process and in the next cycle of production these workers
will be producing more value.

That is,  it does seem to me that qualitative improvements in the
machine producing sector are quite important for Marx. This is where
I seem to be disagreeing with you.  That is,  use value (in the sense
of the quantity of machines as use values) plays a different role in
Marx's theory than in political economy and Ricardo's theory in
particular.

It seems to me that the question we are trying to answer is why Marx
emphasized in his notes on A Wagner that use value is not only not
ignored in his theory, it plays a novel role.

Sweezy's denial of the importance of use value is one approach;
Steve's answer is another .  Grossman's interpretation of Marx is
yet another. It's strange to me that Steve would laud several people
but Grossman for emphasizing the centrality of use value to Marx
though Rosdolsky whom Steve praises to the sky is only summarizing
Grossman's argument. I am hoping that Steve is not ignoring Grossman
because I have associated myself with him.

Yours, Rakesh