[OPE-L:5281] Re: Re: Re: Re: state and workers'ownership and (un)productive labor

From: paul bullock (paulbullock@ebms-ltd.in2home.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 17:01:42 EST

 Dear Gil

I have tried to elucidate my position in 5272. I'm not sure i can say more.
It is true that Marx , also in TSV , refered to the self employed tradesman
as not working capitalistically, but he also pointed out that the settler
farmer , in the same position, would eventually, if successful become an
emploer, however small, or become landless... the point is that we are
assessing the immanent motion of capital, not trapping ourselves with
specifc empirical facts at a particular time.  His illustration serves a
point, capital is a relation, but a social relation. If you were to believe
that workers employing themselves collectively to make commodities could
somehow end capital relations, then one would simply repeat Proudhon's
errors.

Best wishes

Paul Bullock