[OPE-L:5307] Re: Re: (Response to Rakesh)

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 14:12:32 EDT

Gil,
You argue that Marx provides no link between surplus value and the
commodification of labor power.

Surplus value can be appropriated by merchants simply by manipulating
exchange or through the organization of the putting out system.

Marx himself underlines the former possibility but argues that it
cannot be a secure basis for surplus value and does not tend to
increase the value in circulation. He asks for our patience so he can
lay out its new place in bourgeois society, i.e., as a derivative
form of the value newly added in the industrial circuit of capital.
Until recently, you have refused to give Marx your patience on this
issue.

But then you say wage labor is not employed in the putting out system
by means of which not only does the merchant appropriate surplus
value but also increase the value in circulation.

So how can Marx jump to the commodification of labor power from the
existence of surplus value in the circuit of capital or even surplus
value in the aggregate?

But Marx's interest from the very first sentence of Capital vol 1 has
been a fully developed bourgeois society in which free wage labor
contracts for a wage.

To understand how not only surplus value is appropriated but the
value in circulation is increased in such a society we need to grasp
that proletarians do not alienate their labor but labor power for
wages.

Marx  simply confines himself to the island on which workers do
indeed find themselves; he later recognizes  the inherent instability
of the putting out system. And you yourself have given additional
explanation for its instability and general collapse.

But Gil I think it's time we take some stock of this six year list discussion.

We have a debate about the transformation problem in which the
critics refuse to use Marx's definition of surplus value and cost
price (on the latter see Fred and Alejandro).

we have criticisms of the falling rate of profit theory which smuggle
in the methodology of comparative statics without justifying its use
in the study of continuous technical change (as Ben Fine, Alan F and
Andrew K have pointed out).

We have one critic who insists that Marx himself should have
recognized that dead labor itself is productive of new value.

and we have another critic who chides Marx for not recognizing that
surplus value can be appropriated via long antiquated forms of
production in which wage labor was not used.

I know these seem as major, decisive criticisms to many. I submit
that if not for the power behind them, they would obviously be
trivial.

Yours, Rakesh