[OPE-L:5319] much work to do!

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 08:12:12 EDT

Re Geert's [5308]:

>  (snip, JL)  At least in my view of the
> architectonic of Marx's Capital we cannot
> directly apply the abstract beginning (V-1,
> ch 1 -> - and much beyond that)
> empirically. We have a gradual development of
> categories (throughout the 3
> volumes) towards categories that could be
> applied empirically at all. Much
> work to do! (snip, JL)
> On page 135 of V-1 (Fowkes transl) Marx
> writes: "In the interest of
> SIMPLIFICATION, we shall henceforth view
> every form [=kind] of  labour-power
> directly as simple labour-power ..."
> In connection see footnote 15 on the same page: > "At this stage of our
presentation, the category
> of wages does not exist at all." (!)
> It seems to me that before a concept of SNLT
> could be applied at all, we
> need the categories beyond this simplification.
> Emprical reality is complex, and the categories
> of V-1 do not match with it  directly.
> Much of the history of Marxian theory can be
> characterised as `impatience'.
> First impatience with Marx (eager to directly
> apply abstract notions). Next
> lack of patience to  develop the categories
> beyond the point reached by Marx.

Much work to do indeed!

Yet, this very  SIMPLE statement if accepted
 leads one *NECESSARILY* to the next
inter-related tasks:

1)   write a basic *LIST*   of  the theoretical
work that needs to be done required to
reconstruct in thought the nature of the subject matter (capitalism).

[GEERT AND OTHERS: WHAT WOULD
YOU INCLUDE IN YOUR LIST OF THE
WORK THAT NEEDS TO BE DONE?]

2)   put the theory that already exists and
that you view as non-problematic and the list
of  the theoretical  work that needs to be done
[i.e. 1) above] in  the context of a logical  *OUTLINE*  that is appropriate
for the task
at hand: i.e. reconstructing in thought
the nature of capitalism.

This "architectonic" [gee, I like that word!] of
the subject matter must proceed  in a logical
*SEQUENCE*.

[GEERT AND OTHERS:  WHAT WOULD
YOUR INITIAL 'OUTLINE' LOOK LIKE?]

3) The *OUTLINE*  itself [2) above] must
itself be further *SPECIFIED*  moving from
the most simple and initial outline to the more
complex and concrete outline.

Thus, one might *BEGIN*  2) with a very
general outline that logically places the
theoretical work that needs to be done in the
context of a *THE MOST GENERAL
APPROPRIATE ARCHITECTONIC*.

E.g. (here's one possibility of such a general
architectonic):

1. Capital
2. Landed Property
3. Wage-Labour
4) The State
5) Foreign Trade
6) World Market and Crisis

[GEERT AND OTHERS: DO YOU AGREE
OR DISAGREE WITH THE ABOVE
LOGICAL DIVISION OF THE SUBJECT MATTER?  OR, IF YOU HAVE A MORE
APPROPRIATE DIVISION, WHAT
WOULD IT BE AND WHY?]

THEN, once one has established this most
general architectonic, one must *FURTHER
SPECIFY AND CONCRETIZE* each of
the initial divisions until it incorporates within
itself all of the logical divisions appropriate for
grasping the subject matter.

[GEERT AND OTHERS: HOW WOULD
YOU FURTHER SPECIFY AND
CONCRETIZE  YOUR INITIAL OUTLINE?]

This might be thought of as the *INITIAL*
process that is required for the SYSTEMATIC
DIALECTICAL RECONSTRUCTION of
the subject matter in thought.

[GEERT AND OTHERS: DO YOU AGREE
WITH THE IMPERATIVE TO HAVE
A *SYSTEMATIC* DIALECTICAL
RECONSTRUCTION OF THE SUBJECT MATTER?]

All of the above questions, it seems to me,
logically follow as a consequence of the
recognition that there is "much work  to do"!

In solidarity, Jerry