[OPE-L:5405] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: turnover time and surplus value

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 05:24:27 EDT

>On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Rakesh Narpat Bhandari wrote:
>
>>  >The "annual rate of surplus value", introduced in Vol. II, should not
>>  >be confused with the ordinary rate of surplus value from Vol. I, and
>>  >only the latter bears the interpretation of a rate of exploitation.
>>
>>  I am not confusing the two; nor did I forget either. In Vol II Marx
>>  does not call one the annual rate of surplus value and the other the
>>  rate of exploitation. Can you show me where he distinguishes between
>>  the two in this way?
>
>Yes.  Vol. II, Ch XVI, section 1 (Moscow ed., p. 308):
>
>"It follows ... from what has been set forth above that the annual
>rate of surplus-value coincides only in one single case with the real
>rate of surplus-value which expresses the degree of exploitation of
>labour; namely in the case where the advanced capital is turned over
>only once a year..."
>
>There are numerous other places where the same distinction is made or
>implied, and Marx consisently uses the term "real rate of surplus
>value" for the ordinary s/v.
>
>Allin Cottrell.

  Allin, Marx underlines just a few paragraphs later that the annual
rate of surplus value is not something merely subjective, just a kind
of financial calculation created out of Engels' head as you suggested
elsewhere. Marx is emphatically arguing that annual rate of surplus
value is no less real than the real (or simple as Engels called it)
rate of surplus value: "The annual rate of surplus value...is
therefore not something merely subjective, but a comparison produced
by the actual movement of capital itself." (Capital 2, penguin, p.
381)

  Indeed Marx's whole point is that the real or simple  rate of
surplus value is in itself a misleading measure. That is, the volume
one determination of the rate of surplus value is incomplete due to
omission of turnover time. the volume one real or simple rate of
surplus value now becomes an element of the more complex annual rate
of surplus value. There is development and complexification of Marx's
basic determinants.

  That is, I read the passage which you quote to be underlining that
real rate of exploitation expresses the degree of exploitation only
when the advanced capital is turned over once a year. Once we allow
for variability in turnover time, we now have two measures of the
rate of surplus value: S/V and S/v. To put it another way: once we
drop the assumption that the advanced capital only turns over once a
year, how should the rate of surplus value and the rate of
exploitation be measured?

Marx later notes that a decrease in turnover time from a reduction in
production time (itself nothing other than an expression greater
labor productivity) does in fact lead to labor being ever more
dominated by its own product.

With a reduction in production time the capitalist "can buy the
workers all the more often, and set their labour in motion, with the
money form of *their own* value product." (Capital, vol 2, Penguin,
p. 389; emphasis mine). That is, the capitalist has to advance less
money himself as workers will finish the first cycle of production
quicker; moreover, the capitalist finds that he can dominate labor
with its own product because with a reduction in production time
labor's  product more quickly takes the form of money which the
capitalist can use as variable capital. The variable capital which is
advanced by the capitalist is thereby lessened and the profit rate
objectively and really and truly improved.

You choose to say that this is not a rise in the rate of exploitation
and claim that reduced turnover time is itself responsible for
increased profitability (of course by  thingifying time as a
(co)determinant of profits, you are opening the door wide open to the
apologia of bourgeois economics of the profit making system).

I say that once we consider turnover (which marx did not do in volume
one) the annual rate of surplus value becomes a better (more
developed, more complex) measure of the rate of surplus value. And
since the rate of surplus value *is* the rate of exploitation, the
annual rate of surplus value is ipso facto a better measure of
exploitation once the reality of turnover time is allowed into the
picture.

It does no violence to reality to describe workers who have halved
their production time while still being paid out of the same flow of
surplus value as more exploited. It would seem to do quite a bit more
violence to reality to attribute to the factor of reduced turnover
time in itself  the increased profitability which results from
capitalists being able to advance less variable capital on account of
workers' greater labor productivity (as manifested in a reduction of
production time). For this reason, I argue that S/V is the better
measure of exploitation once turnover is considered and it is thus
heightened exploitation which explains the rise in profitability: in
this way, we do not make time itself do things it cannot do such as
increase the rate of profit.

What you cannot deny however is that the annual rate of surplus value
is not any less real in its effects on profitability than the real or
simple rate of surplus value.

Yours, Rakesh