[OPE-L:5426] Re: turnover time and surplus value

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 04:53:57 EDT

Re Allin's [5422]:

> > Consider pineapples produced by a capitalist
> > firm:  if all of the pineapples are not sold,
> > why
> > do you think that the unsold pineapples
> > (necessarily) come to represent means of production?
> They may rot.

Granted.

>  If they don't, they represent inventory (not
> means of  production) and hence are part of
> c, pro tem.

You haven't given a reason yet *why* the
unsold inventory should be counted as
part of constant capital.

What else is part of c but is not means of
production? Why?

Here I am looking for non-accounting reasons
since how individual capitalists put (the
presumed worth of) stock on their books is
neither here nor there.  Similarly, how
governments treat this or other issues in their
statistical calculations of  national income is
neither here nor there. I am looking for
analytical reasons.

In solidarity, Jerry