[OPE-L:5432] commodity capital on the market and the costs of circulation

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 10:46:25 EDT

Re Allin's [5430]:

Previously I noted:

> > You haven't given a reason yet *why* the
> > unsold inventory should
> > be counted as part of constant capital.

Allin responded:

> Please see Paul's ship-building example from
> the other day; it's the same issue.

No, I think it's not the same issue.

> If the "unsold inventory" had been sold by the
> producer  to a separate retailing enterprise,
>  it would be  circulating constant  capital for
>  the retailer, right?  But re-drawing the  juridical
> line between producer and retailer doesn't alter
> anything essential.

It is interesting that this discussion began with a
discussion of issues associated, in part, with
Volume 2, Ch. 7.  Now we have arrived
(with a small step backwards) at issues
associated  with Volume 2, Ch. 6 ("The Costs
of Circulation").

Putting aside for now the issue of the costs of
storage and transport, your position is that
the unsold commodities represent constant
capital.  Marx, however, refers to the
"commodity stock" as "commodity capital
on the market" rather than constant capital.
I see no argument there that suggests that
this unsold inventory should count as constant
capital. Do you?

In solidarity, Jerry