[OPE-L:5473] Re: More Intense Labor

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 09:31:12 EDT

Re Rakesh's [5470]:

> If we assume that the more intense hour now
> determines the norm, then
> what we have in your case is a wage which is
> below the value of labor
> power.

The 'norm' is the customary intensity of labor
associated with a particular society during a
particular historical period of time.  It can thus
be thought of as an 'average' labor intensity
for that society. Thus, a change in the intensity
of labor at one firm, market, or sector does not
"determine" the norm but can over time lead to
a change in the norm. Therefore, it is not the
'most intense' labor that determines the 'norm'.
The norm can also be *lowered* by
long-term reductions in labor intensity: thus,
less intense labor can contribute to a change in
the 'norm' just as a 'most intense' labor can
contribute over time to a change in the norm.
One must not forget when considering the
intensity of labor that although capital seeks to
constantly increase that intensity, labor
constantly finds itself in struggle with capital over
that issue and at a minimum seeks not to
increase  the intensity of labor -- of course,
they can also struggle to decrease the intensity
of labor.

> Though with intensification a greater sum of
> use  values is  needed to reproduce labor
> power,

Why?

> you assume that there is no change
> in the real wage.

Not exactly. All I am saying is that a change in
the intensity of labor does not _necessarily_
lead to a change in the real wage.

> That is, you assume the wage now falls below
> the  value of labor power.

No, an increase in the intensity of labor is
consistent with the possibility that the wage
equals the value of labor power. What has
changed isn't  necessarily the wage but nlt and
slt.

In solidarity, Jerry