[OPE-L:5482] Re: Re: Counteracting factors

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 16:08:36 EDT

Hi Jerry,

Re:

At 06:52 PM 5/2/01 Wednesday, you wrote:
>it depends on (as you suggest)
>the price and income elasticity of demand for the
>commodity (and here I think Steve is wrong
>to simply dismiss these concepts)

Check the maths at:

>http://www.debunking-economics.com or http://www.stevekeen.net

I haven't actually worked out what it means for this particular aspect of
neoclassical pricing theory, but the "skinny" thus far is:

*           The welfare comparison of 'perfectly competitive' firms to
monopolies is invalid: conditions for the comparison to be made make the
model of PC indeterminate;
*           The model of PC, with price equal to marginal cost, is invalid:
P=MC is not an equilibrium, and both individual firms and the whole
industry increase profits if output falls; the only equilibrium, within the
parameters of the model, is the same as for monopoly MR=MC;
*           In a dynamic setting, MR=MC is only profit maximising if
quantity never alters with time. Since this is a nonsense condition, in a
dynamic setting, firms maximise the rate of growth of profit by setting
MR > MC.

I expect that the old price and income elasticity arguments will fall foul
of the final point.

Steve